I just picked up "What's the matter with Kansas?" and it got me thinking of the reason that most of the poorest (white and now the latino) parts of the country are treading to the far right, even though the right has shown no actual interest in making their lives any better. I then realized there are a few different kinds of republicans.
Type I: the 'real' republican. This is one of the rarer breeds. This is the type that Rogers talks about in this. The old school social/fiscial conservative who hates government corruption. They are almost exctinct on the national level. This was the republican you could have a dialogue with and who at the end of it you would say ,"I may not agree with you, but I respect you."
Type IB: pretends to be a Type I without exibiting any of those annoying fiscial conservatism/ anti-goverment corruption. Social Conservatism is replaced with Social reductionism. Wanting to go back to some fake time from the fifties when everyone was white and christian and middle class and happy. John McCain and most main stream republicans fall into this category.
Type IC: A special category just for Joe Lieberman who is a democrat but acts like a Type IB.
Type II: Fox News Republican. He tells you what is wrong with this country (Gays, Liberals) and why. Bill O'Rielly is the proto-typical type II. Now just because he thinks Gays are the problem in the country, he won't come out and SAY that he thinks Gays are the problem in the country. This type will use word choice to obsfucate what they are actually saying. Like the Devil they can act nice when they need to. See: Bill O'rielly on Daily Show.
Type IIb: Wingnut. These are the people who watched Katrina and said it was the poor people's own fault for being in the path of the hurricane. Most right wing bloggers fall into this category. No matter how hard you try to reason with them, facts do not penetrate their thick truthiness filled skulls.
Type III: This type is the one that most normal people fall into. At their hearts they are scared and upset about what is going on into the world and they just wish someone would give them an idea of who to blame and why. Ergo, they get most of their news from Type IIs. IF the democrats found a way to change the CW to a democratic message they would switch parties.
Oh and don't think I am just picking on the right, I have a few categories for the left too. I'll flesh them out sometime later, but here is a preview of their titles.
Type I: True Liberal/Libertarian.
Type IB: Social Liberal.
Type IC: Fake Social liberal.
Type II: College Liberal aka Green Party Liberal.
Type III: Anti-Corporation/capitalism Liberal.
Type IV: Worker Rights liberal, but otherwise conservative.
Mar 4, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment