Feb 18, 2007

This Just In!

Videogames, although suspected as the cause of the shooting, are proven to not be the cause!

The whole thing is tragic, but it goes without fail that as soon as anyone goes on a shooting spree, the media will try to blame video games. But it appears that he didn't even own any video games.

And let's try it again for the media: What causes these tragedies is very simple- a disturbed individual. You can argue all you want about what finally pushed them to kill other people, but at the core it is always the same thing- a disturbed person who could no longer tell right from wrong.

I was bullied in school, I listened to metal, I played violent video games, and I was a member of goth culture (oh god I know, I was young and I didn't know anybetter and it was only 1 brief fling, I swear), and I have very little parental supervision. Yet I never once considered shooting up my school. Sure I had power fantasies about the people who bullied me, but everyone does, the difference is I never once actually considered acting on them.

Bullying does suck and it does do a lot of damage to a psyche, but it still does not give you an excuse to go shot up your school. (It might give you a reason to attack the bully, but that isn't here or there.) You have to be pretty damaged psychologically to think that is a good idea.

No comments: