I live in a suburban neighborhood. The speed limit is 30 and a speed bump is directly in front of my house.
Friday night.
It's about 8pm.
I am standing on the sidewalk, about to cross the street. Maybe 60 feet down the street is a car. I assume it is going the speed limit so I have more than enough time to cross the street. Her is behind me.
I get about halfway across the lane the car is in when I see that it is almost to the speed bump and it is not slowing down.
At this point I am between five and ten feet from a truck going about fifety. I am also almost completely across the driver's field of vision.
Before the speed bump, the driver's lights were fully on us. I was walking right in front of where the driver -should- have been looking.
When he hits the speed bump, and I realize he is not slowing down, I jump as far as I can, into the next lane, out of his way.
The driver of the the truck slams on his breaks and bears hard left.
I watch the truck slide to the left and leave a thirty feet tire skid as he comes to a stop. Her moved out of the way when I wasn't looking.
At this point, as the driver of the truck, what would you reaction be?
A: worried about the people you almost hit because you were going almost 50 in a 20 zone, and becuase you also weren't paying attention
-or-
b: Yell at them about them being idioits because they were crossing the street in a residential zone?
If you guessed B, then you are right about his reaction. He might have gotten out of the truck to start something, which would have been fine with me. I've been wanting to test what would people's reaction to someone backhanding them repeatedly would be. Unfortantely for my experiement, a cop was coming down the other lane. The guy saw him, hit is gas, left a skid mark AGAIN and took off to his house.
I flagged down the cop and told him what happened.
His response: Well you shouldn't be wearing dark clothing.
...
Let's recap, 1: This is a residential area. The speed limit is 20 over the speed bumps, the guy had to be going 50. 2: Even if we were wearing dark clothing, it is a very well lite neighborhood. There is a light over the garage that shines over the entire street. 3: Even if that wasn't enough, as I said, I crossed the driver's entire field of vision and he didn't react until I jumped out of the way, which means he wasn't paying attention to the road at all.
The cop says he will go "talk" to the guy and turns his squad car around to go find the guy. ( it wasn't that hard, the guy drove down a dead end.)
I take Her home and go to work, and spend the time frazzled over what happened. That's the third time I've come close to death in my life and the second time I have almost been run over.
So, how was your weekend?
Jan 8, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment